Is Windows Live Space Photos the right tool for me?

Dec 19, 2007 at 3:17 PM
Sorry if this isn't entirely the right place for this but I'm not sure where else to ask this.

I'm creating a league website based on ASP.NET 2.0 and SQL 2005. For the photo gallery functionality I was looking at various open source solutions which were file-based, but I was looking for a database-based solution. Then I stumbled upon this project and though of using the Windows Live Space Photos service to manage the storage of the photo's and then using LiveNet to present the photos via the league site.

Is this a viable and workable solution?
Coordinator
Dec 19, 2007 at 9:12 PM
Yes, it would be. All the photos would be stored under the one Windows Live Space, so in essence you could just hardcode all the relevant authentication details into your project. The end user wouldn't have to enter any details as it wouldn't be their space that is being accessed, only yours. You could also set the Space to be private (ie, not accessible to anyone but you), so no-one could view the space, but using LiveNet you would still be able to access the photos.

Before considering using LiveNet though, it's worth just taking a quick look at http://dev.live.com/terms just to make sure that you understand the usage terms. You get something like 1 million unique visitors per month as an allowance, so if you go over that, you might need to discuss extra terms with MS.

Any other queries, please ask away.

Scøtt
Dec 19, 2007 at 10:59 PM
I've set the site up and made it private. The site will be well under the 1 million (be lucky to get over the 10,000s) but I'll go over the terms in the morning to make sure there aren't any other gotcha's.

Initially I'm going to keep it simple and allow a limited number of users to upload photo's directly to the Live Space site and then present them via the league site. Moving on from that, I'd like to, if possible, give users the functionality to perform some of the simpler admin via the league site, but that might be a bit of re-inveting the wheel. I'll see how it goes.

Thanks.
Coordinator
Dec 20, 2007 at 8:44 AM
Just be sure to remember that the photos that are uploaded, they will not be split on a user by user basis. So if user 1 creates a folder called "MyTeam", another user can't then add a folder of that name. Having said that, I guess the easy solution is to put the username in the folder ;)

Good luck with the site though, and post the link in here when you're done, we would be interested to see it if you go ahead with using LiveNet.

Scøtt
Dec 21, 2007 at 12:10 AM
The photo's are going to be available for anyone to browse and access to upload is going to be controlled so I can't see there being any issue with that. I'll post a link to the site once it's live, which it should be within the next month, provided all goes well. Currently implementing the Live Search API into the site, then onto LiveNet. May be back to ask for help at some point.

Thanks.

Mark
Coordinator
Dec 21, 2007 at 7:20 AM
Hey Mark,

Angus from the Windows Live Platform team (http://dev.live.com). here.

Its great to see your interest in the Photos API :)

just out of interest - what statistics are you looking at:
  • number of users
  • number of photos being uploaded
  • number of requests for thumbnailed images (coming in January)
  • number of requests for full resolution images.

thx
Dec 21, 2007 at 8:00 AM
Hi Angus,

For the moment, I'm purely interested in presenting the photos from Live Space Photos via the league site. Obviously once that's implemented, my inquisative developers nature will lead me onto other things which may or may not include statistics. The statistics on the site will be centered around the league initially.

I'll keep this thread updated with progress.

Thanks.